Pages

Saturday 7 September 2013

Walkie Scorchie


A number of new buildings have begun popping up in the city changing London's skyline.  Each new one gets a local nickname.  This one began as the "walkie talkie" due to its shape, getting wider as it gets taller.  However last week it changed to the "walkie scorchie".   One city boy parked his smart expensive jag near the building.  It was one of London's not so common scorching hot days.  When the chap arrived back to his car he noticed a small crowd had gathered around it.  Why?  Well it seems the sun reflecting from the panels on the building had melted all the plastic bits on his car.  He was not impressed.  £1,000 of damage.
People in nearby buildings have also complained of being fried in their offices.  The temporary fix at the moment is scaffolding with black sunscreen netting while the architects look for a longer term fix.

9 comments:

jabblog said...

I thought this must be in USA when I first heard the story and was surprised to learn it was in the good old UK. Incredible, really.

Angie said...

A jag has plastic bits? Why don't they turn the windows into solar panels?

Unknown said...

The topic that your blog deals with demands loads of research. Thanks to you who has provided the intricate information in simple words.
Sherwani

A Daft Scots Lass said...

I agree with Angie.

I'm just shocked a Jag has plastic bits.

Sharon said...

I just read this yesterday in my weekly news magazine. Those glass window panes must be angled just right.

Jack said...

I read about this and giggled. Wouldn't you think the architects and engineers would have considered this?

Billy Blue Eyes said...

Saw that on the news at the time, amusing I must say

Stefan Jansson said...

I remember reading about that.

William Kendall said...

I'd heard about this at the time, of course.

Definitely a face palm sort of moment for the architects and the engineers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...